Master Frank Saunders was born in Oban, Argyllshire, in the West Highlands of Scotland in 1921. His father was Headmaster of the school attached to the Episcopalian Cathedral of St. John the Devine. Frank's early education was at that school until 1928 when his father was appointed to the headship of a Berkshire school and Frank was then sent to King Alfred Grammar School, Wantage. In 1934, after his father's next headship in Bedford he went to Bedford Modern Harpur Trust .
Frank then decided to train as an architect. He worked with a firm which closed when war broke out and they found him a job in an engineering firm in Letchworth. He was taken into the drawing office, working on designs for manufacturing precision measuring instruments. The firm imported machinery from America. In the design office Frank worked on the cutting tools for manufacturing complicated and precision joints for parts of the Wellington bombers, Merlin and Gryphon aero engines, Browning and Oerlicon guns, howitzers, and finally the fir-tree joints between the blades and rotors of Frank Whittle's then revolutionary jet engines. For this, as part of a small team, Frank was whisked away to a 'secret location' in Weybridge to live and work in isolation until the end of the war when he returned to the architect's office, which was then engaged in designing and building much need local authority housing. After passing all his exams Frank was admitted an Associate of the Royal Institute of British Architects.
In 1956 Frank became a partner in a practice in Essex which he then took over completely after the principal's death. This followed with the opening of offices in Westminster and Suffolk.
In 1941 Frank married Phyllis who was a nurse. His interests were always in the arts - the visual arts, music, theatre and literature. His hobbies included philately and Freemasonry. He became a Rotarian on moving to Essex where he served his Club as Secretary and then President in 1971.
Frank was introduced to the Livery by Ronald Elliott, Master in 1986, he became a Liveryman in 1975 and then an Assistant on the Court in 1994.